The day I eventually registered my business name

I am enjoying my life as a freelancer. Yesterday after the half-day training in MITC TOP, I walked along Buendia to get to DTI. Though I left the huge umbrella in the school, I had a gut feel I wouldn't need it. (I didn't since luckily the rain didn't come). When I arrived at the DTI, I learned that they have another site to welcome business name registrations. Lady Guard said I should make it sooner since they only let in a number of registrants a day. Even if it meant not being in the cut off number, I just had to visit the new office. It wasn't so far away - only ten minutes walk at the Trafalgar in de la Costa Street.

For more than a month I had been trying to register the business that was at the back of my head - the learning center. Done online, one can really expect to have the name approved after a looong time. The first time I registered a name, it was disapproved. I applied for another name and up to now they haven't gotten back to me.

When I was already at the Trafalgar, my patience was tested again since the elevators weren't that fast to pick me up. The elevators there were the same at the Makati Municipal Hall where you wouldn't know at which floor the elevator is currently based. There were about six of them but still it seemed like forever when finally elevator D picked us up. If you are not familiar with the elevator at the Munisipyo or at the Trafalgar at that, there is a contraption in between elevators where you press the floor you want to reach. Then the LCD will flash which elevator will service you. It took like fifteen minutes! And so many warm bodies in a narrow lift! Felt like a sardine in a can or even a warm body in a crowded sauna.

So finally I stepped out to the 12th floor. DTI at last. I asked the ate from the window how face-to-face registration is different from the online one. She said that was mush faster because the approval is in realtime. I asked till what time they are open since I was encouraged to go to the house and get money for the registration! She said only about 100 are accomodated over the day and she gave me the tip to come in very early since some come as early as 7:00 am and the priority numbers then can be as many as 60. She observed that there was no sign yet by the guard that the cut-off was reached so I just may be able to get a number yet. I leapt for my chance. Wow! I was registrant #100, the last of the mohicans! Hahha. Then I inquired from Manong Guard what time they are open. He said till 4:30pm. So I got the application form and duplicate for sole prioprietorship BNR (business name registration) and headed home. I thought I can come back at 4:00 since they close 30 minutes later.

I went home to fetch not a pail of water but to the money for the BNR. I left 3:30 and told myself I can just walk there. But I thought otherwise because there was a commotion on the road. A possible bank robbery. I became a little uzi too and got the information from mamang sekyu's that the robbers entered BOI to get to the new East West Bank. What? Rob a newly opened bank? The robbers might be lugi. I detoured to the eskinita that brings me to the major thoroughfare. So jeep was my mode of getting there. Better that than the fat burning briskwalk intended, than being caught in the middle of a gunfight.

The elevators at the Trafalgar were consistent. Waited about 10 minutes to get to the 12th floor. So I entered the office and asked if they called PN (priority number) 100. They got mad because according to them I was there too late. Hmmm...closing time was 4:30 right? I was there 30 minutes before closing time. Government offices have a different culture, don't they. In private banks they will still accomodate you as long as you came in before closing time. I had to contend with the snide comments of gov comrades kesyo what was my priority number etc etc. I knew I was the last with PN #100 but one said there was another at #103..should I believe that? I saw Manong Guard put up the cardboard that says "No more priority number" when he gave the last one to me.

With patience I explained about what Manong Guard told me. In the end they still accomodated me but with many side comments. I saw they were really annoyed.

The good thing about this is that. I need not wait a million days to have my business name registered! TADAH! A new business name is born: CROSSOVER LEARNING CENTER!!

No comments: