Landgrabbers big and small

On my way to UP, I got me a jeep last Monday from Trinoma. I was going to have life coaching sessions to my DOST mentees at Kalayaan Residence Hall. It was a striking day (jeeps were protesting about the gas prices not having gone down despite the oil price drop in the international market - they were on strike). I got me a jeep after thirty minutes and  so I was late for the session. I observed the new face of the other side of Agham Road opposite my beloved high school. What used to be a grassy empty space is now filled with mini housing. (If you'd think they were there ever since time immemorial, I have to admit my high school days happened a long long time ago).

There were pedicabs waiting for passengers, there were sari-sari stores that sold products tingi-tingi, there were bystanders, nearly nude kids playing, women washing clothes complete with big tansans called batya (???), and so many more. It was a microcosm of society.

A stark difference from the sprawling grounds inside and outside SM North City, The Block, and Trinoma from where I got the ride. These malls are sitting on land owned by the government. Hmm, not so sure now if they bought from the QC government or the Philippine government or from private individuals. Bought with or leased with hard earned money. What about the other side of Agham Road populated by people. They also are sitting on government owned property, assumingly without lease. These are the squatters. The new land grabbers, though puny in size. Why is it that they are allowed to sit on property they don't own? Can't the QC government uphold the law which applies to all - big or small. Or maybe the small people have big shot protectors who look after them to ensure that they get elected to office once again.

Let's go to Makati or Ortigas. The Central Business Districts are once or are still owned by families having Spanish-sounding surnames. The Philippines' original inhabitants are not Europeans but Asians. Now how come land are owned mainly by them and not by the descendants of the Asian descent. How about the advantage of titling land.

Hay buhay.

No comments: